Thankful

We drove through beautiful countryside
ignoring the dismal, cold weather conditions
and arrived at our destination an hour or so before lunch.  
Here in a rather secluded corner
we settled in to read our books.
Instrumental music played softly in the background.
I believe "The Lord's Prayer" was the first I noticed,
and I jotted its title in my journal.
After reading my through-the-Bible-in-a-Year portion,
I turned to essays in this interesting book.
Ms. Kingsolver is an EXCELLENT writer.
Intelligent, humorous, but a bit jaded in perspective, I believe.
We took a break from our reading to enjoy the buffet.
Das Essenhaus (Middlebury, IN) never disappoints.
We returned to the corner to read awhile before
braving the snow flurries to search out treasures at a thrift store.
$8 afforded us a pair of jeans (Gary), 4 shirts , a jacket and a skirt (me), 
and a jigsaw puzzle (us).   Oh!  And a pillow!
With time to spare, we found ANOTHER niche in which to read some more!
(At one of our local hospitals, no less!)
We returned home to a table set 
and family waiting for a chili supper followed by a game of dominoes.
(My Chicago-area sister and brother-in-law were in town.
She spent the day with Dad, and Brother-in-law joined us for the evening.)
A good day for all at so many levels! 
Thankful.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful day out, a great opportunity for your sister to have time with your dad, and dinner waiting at home!

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)