Solitude 101

Starting to practice solitude is like clearing out an attic. Each time we find a lonely spot, it's like removing a piece of the clutter. After repeated practice, we begin to notice the spaciousness of the attic, the vaulted ceilings and the sunlight cutting through the window. It becomes a place we want to return to again-and-again. A place we crave, a holy place. That's the pattern for all the Spiritual Disciplines, they start out as a kind of difficult and demanding task, and become, by God's grace, joyful and freeing. By practicing solitude, we clear out the old boxes and worn-out furniture of our heart and mind, we learn to build a sanctuary of the soul, a spacious place for God.  (Jonathan Bailey, here.)
Finding this such a descriptive and accurate explanation of this "place".  
A place I crave.
A holy place.
A sanctuary of the soul.
A spacious place for God.

6 comments:

  1. “... a sanctuary of the soul”

    I love how you put this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Like clearing out an attic" is a nice word picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so, too. (I have a LOT of "attic" space to clear!)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post! Very inspiring.

    Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, hugs and prayers back ♥
      "Joyful" and "free" - that is my true condition!
      Thankful.

      Delete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)