A Christmas Like No Other

With nothing big on our Christmas Day agenda, family gatherings having taken place a few weeks ago, this turned out to be a Christmas like no other. Simple decorations have been enjoyed for several weeks now.  Evenings have concluded with the three of us listening to Dr. John Piper read Advent meditations. I led the carol sing at our Wednesday night gathering at church well aware I was under the influence of a cold.  (Or is it flu?)  Still under the influence, I got up the next morning and drove to Chicago to pick up my dad and brother who had taken the train for a short, special trip to Kansas.

And under the influence, I remain--wiped out and spending hours a day in my comfy recliner where I've slept and slept and slept.

With no planned events or responsibilities, my husband, a Visitation Pastor, has been free to minister to several folks from our church during unusual illnesses and family deaths.  (In the past  week, there have been four deaths.)

It was hard to sit in my comfy recliner yesterday evening when Gary left for the hospital after receiving news that a friend had fallen and spent an unknown time (perhaps as much as two days) on the floor of her condo where she lived alone.  Hers may be a difficult recovery.

Funerals are pending.  I'm hopeful of recovering enough to visit my friend in the hospital very soon.  Today is the first day I've felt chipper enough to pick up a book (Alexander McCall Smith's The Italian Bulldozer) and read.  I've smiled at his descriptions and marveled at his grasp of human nature.

Today, these words a friend shared on her Facebook page capture several thoughts running randomly through my mind.  (The past year has found her relocating from Florida to Indiana and caring for her husband whose Alzheimer's has advanced significantly.)
Grateful to our neighbor, shovel in hand, (who) came over saying, "It is better with two shovels!" He was so right! It is better with two shovels! It made the job a lot lighter! What a wonderful gift we received! What a wonderful feeling, having the assistance from one with such a joyful spirit!
 I agree!  It IS better with two shovels!  And OH to be one who assists with a joyful spirit! 
Merry Christmas
from this one who is experiencing A Christmas Like No Other.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've no doubt you and I were on very different ends of the Christmas celebration spectrum! ♥ I can't wait to read more of yours!

      Delete
  2. I HOPE you recover from your illness really quickly. That was certainly no way to spend your birthday...happy belated, sweet Lady and blogging Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I AM improved this morning and very thankful!

      Delete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)