Old Pillows

 These two pillows have at least twenty years of age on them.
A friend and I stuffed and sewed our pairs together.
I still remember the pleasure of that day.
As I took them out of storage to enjoy this Christmas season,
my heart was warmed by the memory.
***
I've heard God's promises referred to as "pillows" for the soul.
 Here, for example:
What an immense and unspeakable privilege we have each day as Christians to lay our weary heads down upon the pillow of God’s promises. We are given the privilege of sleep, rest, and a daily spring of new mercies  (Lamentations 3:22-23)...consider afresh the promises of God. Recount them to yourself. And let them be to you a comfort, “Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant.” (Psalm 119:76).

When you first became a Christian these promises were fresh and new to you. Now, perhaps after some time they have become routine, even like furniture in your room. As believers laboring for faithful joy in God we mustn’t forget the glory of the promises. Unlike a pillow they never wear out and always meet us with appropriate comfort and refreshment. Like the Psalmist, then, recount these promises until you are comforted and properly provoked to rejoice.
 Daily, as I remember and rest on God's promises--old as the Book itself--
my heart is warmed.  I am comforted and "properly provoked to rejoice"!

1 comment:

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)