If We Could See Beyond Today

After a run to the grocery store this morning for salad fixings,
I returned home to alter some nightgowns for Mother.
 This involves sewing up the fronts of some and splitting the backs of all.
I rarely get my trusty little sewing machine out these days...
As I scheme and sew, I find myself wishing Mother was here with me
(and that I'd paid more attention when I was younger).
She would know just how to do this, 
and it would be finished so much nicer than I can do with my humble attempt
to make these gowns serviceable and appropriate to her condition.
 I'm also working to write in the third part in one of the songs I may be singing
with my two sisters this Sunday.
Its words have taken on a whole new layer of meaning for me
in the past two years.
 If we could see, if we could know,
We often say.
But God in love a veil doth throw
Across our way.
We cannot see what lies before,
And so we cling to Him the more

He leads us till this life is o'er,
Trust and obey.
(3rd verse)

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a productive and busy day ... I have never used a sewing machine ... and would not know how to begin to fix the gowns... Also ..I think not knowing what a day will bring helps us to meet each day ... we look back and see we got through yesterday and now we can do today...with trust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I COULD have enjoyed sewing if I'd paid attention when I was young. Not sure I have the patience to learn all I'd like about sewing now. (I shouldn't say that, but it's true.)

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to leave a simple response. I love you Rebecca... and I appreciate being your blog and FB friend. God sees what's on your heart. Your words on this post brought tears to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I simply want to say, "Thank you." The feeling is mutual. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. In spite of (or maybe partly because of) your not quite professional craftsmanship, this labor of love will later be a great comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already, (at least in relationship to the nightgowns) the words of Jesus echo in my mind - "She has done what she could" (Mark 14:8). And for now, that is enough.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful lyrics, and a nice labor of love by you in fixing the gowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I should have included the 1st and 2nd stanzas, too. They are equally beautiful...

      Delete
  5. Beautiful words to that old hymn.

    There is a lot of love and prayers in your sewing. It will not go unrewarded. God sees all. Your mother will be wrapped in the love.

    Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine. I'm looking forward to a good day ♥

      Delete
  6. You are living a life of being the hands and feet of the Lord. Your work, imperfect though it may be, is of great worth in His sight.

    Blessings Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)