The Pleasure of "Her" Company

 It wasn't ALL I did yesterday, but it was the part I remembered to capture in photographs...
 I traveled to a neighboring town with my husband who had a meeting there.
 Winona Lake is where I spent four years of my life while my father was in seminary.
 I seldom pass up an opportunity to return.
 After a morning of thrift store browsing, I went to the BoatHouse for lunch.
 It's situated very close to where I sunned on the beach
 and almost exactly on the spot where the roller rink was located (I think).
I asked for a table at the window.
I looked longingly at the Dessert Menu...
but in the end ordered only this broiled salmon salad.
It was delicious.
Afterward, I returned to the meeting spot to wait for my husband.
I read a few chapters of a novel,
wrote some personal notes, stamped and addressed the greeting cards I'd taken along,
and then decided to nap in the sunshine streaming into the car.
The day was a change of pace for me,
and I was perfectly content with my own company.
(Are YOU comfortable with your own company?)

Language... has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. 
 And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone. 
 ~Paul Johannes Tillich, The Eternal Now

10 comments:

  1. What a marvelous day, just perfect! You were in "good company". Napping in the sun = BLISS. This old gal needs some alone time to recharge the batteries. Love the quote...do you mind if I pin it on Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course not, Donna. (I copied it off the internet!)
    I hope you find/take some time to recharge the batteries. It is a good thing to do - Frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like being alone with me ~ myself ~ and I on occasion. Especially if I could cat napp in the sun. Even the Lord enjoyed some alone time. That salmon salad looks wonderful....YUM:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to return to a Nostalgic place. Yes, I am thankful that I am content with my own company even though I am most definitely a "People Person" and Love People too. I always balance Socializing with Solitary time... that is when I connect best with the Lord... in the Stillness of Solitude. Thanks for stopping by my Good-Bye Post... yes, the missing will be difficult, and not seeing those precious little ones growing up and holding them in my arms. But most of all I will miss my Sister... we are like Twins from a different Mother. *Smiles*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to spend alone time once in a while...we are enjoying nice sunny days now and it is welcome!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful it is to spend time alone with yourself, it brings ourselves closer to our Lord and to ponder on oneselves, because us women are by nature nurturers and, like me, I'm always thinking about my family's well been and not much mine. Thank you for this post and for your lovely wishes for me and my DD. Lots of hugs, sweet lady and God bless you.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looked like the perfect way to spend a few hours Rebecca. Nowadays it seems that most people are afraid of their own company, but it can be amongst other things quite liberating if done properly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally OK with being alone all by myself. Just the other day I again found out how much I enjoy truly quiet, alone time. We were staying at a church in their guest rooms, my husband was in another room studying and I was in the little public front-room. I wrote some things in a notebook, caught up on my Bible reading, crocheted some key chains and a couple egg doilies, did some texting.....and stared out a beautiful window and watched birds fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a perfect day to me... especially the nap part! Growing up, I heard a lot about Winona Lake from others in our community. It seems to me that summer trips were taken there for camp?

    ~elaine

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)