The Old is Just Fine!

I suppose I should think twice before I show you my un-ironed pillow cases.  
No, I don't iron them - especially for everyday.
And, yes, I do use these for "everyday"...
These are fresh out of the dryer!
I believe I found these three particular pillow cases at thrift stores. 
Any time I find see them, I find them hard to resist.
They remind me of my grandmother who lovingly crocheted the trim
on the hems of some cases I'd embroidered while a young wife in the early 70s.
She lovingly selected blue variegated threads
to match the blue and white pattern I created
and variegated green threads for the shades of green in another pattern.
I happily sleep on these.
It's hard to improve on the beauty of these hand-worked pieces.
It kind of reminds me of Luke 5:39 
(which refers to the old/new wine and old/new wineskins).

But no one who drinks the old wine seems to want the new wine. 
'The old is just fine,' they say."

 

8.  Furnace winterized

7 comments:

  1. I think we ought to enjoy the things we love and collect. What good are old embroidered/crocheted pillow cases if we never get to see them?
    (it takes a SMALL, needle-like crochet hook to do a pillowcase ruffle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the past in a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillowcases are lovely, ironed or not. I use them everyday too, and like you...I buy them from thrift shops. My grandkids like to sleep on them--they think they're pretty (their parents, who are into modern don't like them so much.) If you can bear to do so, and have a little baby girl in your circle of family or friends, they make adorable pillowcase dresses. I've made a few and gotten rave reviews. Just google it and you'll see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these too. I love the ones that say Mr. and Mrs. or His and Hers. I don't iron them either:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these pillow cases Rebecca. I have several that I inherited from my husbands mother and aunt. I use them often. And like you, if I see them in the thrift stores I will pick them up also. I find them very comforting, just like my Great-Grandmothers Chenille bedspread!
    Your selection is just lovely!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the stitching on these old pillow cases. I, too, find them hard to resist. I have several pieces (not pillow cases) displayed on my antique wash stand. And I don't iron mine either!

    I just might have to head down to the local antique shop and dig around for some more. They'd make lovely Christmas paper around Billy's homemade applesauce cakes!

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)