A Read about Reading!




What did YOU do
when the "lights" went out?
I confess I went a little CRAZY!

I went to our back patio this morning and began reading a book whose introductory pages contained these words:  

"The start of the journey also coincided with my decision to curtail my use of the internet, which can have an insidious, corrosive effect.  Too much internet usage fragments the brain and dissipates concentration so that after a while, one's ability to spend long, focused hours immersed in a single subject becomes blunted.  Information comes pre-digested in small pieces, one grazes on endless ready-meals and snacks of the mind, and the result is mental malnutrition."
I wish I could remember who recommended this book - or said they were reading it....I jotted down the title and author after seeing it on SOMEone's blog.  It is an interesting and well-written read about reading!
It was a beautiful morning.  
I thoroughly enjoyed the view from my lawn chair. 

"The internet can also have a pernicious influence on reading because it is full of book-related gossip and chatter on which it is fatally easy to waste time that should be spent actually paying close, careful attention to the books themselves, whether writing them or reading them."  (Susan Hill)

4 comments:

  1. Well, that's something! Last weekend, my computer was away at the dr's., and I didn't miss it one bit. I rejoin the community with renewed perspective and guidelines.

    I wanted to tell you, again, how much I'm enjoying your Bible study. I've spent the week on chapter 5 (speech/words); it's been a sobering look at my tongue, sister. You've done a nice job with this study; I'd love you to do another one.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I didn't freak out this time. I had confidence Blogger was working on the issues and would get it restored. Before when it was just MY blogs that went missing, I really DID get anxious! I was busy yesterday doing spring cleaning on two bathrooms and then getting my kitchen cleaned up and floor mopped. Maybe I would be more productive around the house if I declared one day a week "internet free"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to a bit of concern, but also a tad bit of relief! Sometimes this blogging business becomes consuming.

    As for reading - I thought about getting a Kindle, but I just like the feel of an actual book in my hands.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a library worker, I applaud the information from the book. I am concerned about the attention span of our entire society. Will we get so we can't sit and listen to a sermon???? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)