Easter 2019

 Morning dawned, dense with fog.
We braved it to attend the first service-described as "traditional".
Reflecting now (late afternoon), I realize one highlight 
of the morning was conversation with one whose name I'd heard,
but whose face I did not know.
I followed her on the way to the parking lot, 
watching her lone, bent frame 
and silently praying she would make it safely 
to her car.
I remarked on the sunshine that had replaced the fog 
as we had worshiped, and the conversation unfolded.
I learned that she, like me, was somewhat of an introvert.
She didn't need or seek out a lot of activity for activity sake.
"I've heard about you!" I said.
"And I about you," she returned.
And then we discovered our mutual lack of interest in
social activity and mindless chitchat.
***
Since our children live far away, my sister and brother-in-law were headed
to be with his side of the family, and I had failed to 
invite guests to Easter dinner,
we ate at the local cafe--thankful for the servers and cooks
who created and served our meal.
After naps, we roused ourselves for a beautiful walk
on a paved trail in the town next to ours.
Besides the sunshine, bird songs, croaking of frogs and budding out of trees,
a small patch of the two wild flowers shown here 
were the primary evidences of spring that I noticed.
I thought about my new acquaintance and wondered if she and I
were as rare among the crowd surrounding me this morning
as the two small patches of wildflowers  
among the dying excesses of winter....
Sometimes I feel that way.
Hmmmmmm. 

2 comments:

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)