Taking Stock


Here it is!  Mid-March already...
I heard birds singing as I washed my face and brushed my teeth 
at my upstair's bathroom sink this morning.
Winter is passing. Quicker this year than last, it seems to me.
Why my thoughts wandered to June and our upcoming retreat
 to The Abbey of Gethsemani, I don't know.
But they did. 
Wistfully, I opened its web page and caught up with a few of the monthly happenings
there since the first of the year.
January found the monks themselves retreating.
Somehow, this brought me comfort 
and heightened my expectations and yearnings for my own retreat!
Marked by silence and simplicity, this was a summary of the retreat:
On the individual level, monks were encourage to discern
what they needed from this time of extra quiet and solitude.
For some, that may indeed have meant some rest.  
For others, it was a chance to simplify.
"For all, it is a time of taking stock," Dom Elias said.
...Sigh...
Today, in a smaller way, I too will seek to be silent.
To be simple and
to take stock.

5 comments:

  1. We have more birds in our yard than last year, LOL we have t fill all of our bird feeders up 2-3 times a week LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,

    I notice in your "about me" you are a piano teacher. Do you take students, and what age is too young? My daughter is interested in getting lessons for her son Patrick, he will be 8 in a few weeks, so is probably just about the right age to begin.
    Thank you for any info,

    Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old bio. I need to update. If he can read, he's at a good age! Unfortunately, life has changed for me and I no longer am giving lessons....

      Delete
  3. "Quicker this year than last, it seems to me."

    Mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really seems to have flown by (thankfully)!

      Delete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)