Deja Vu

Reminders and reason just won't work.
So read the article.  It continued;
When caring for an older adult with Alzheimer's or dementia,
it's instinctive to try to bring them back into reality.
When they say something that doesn't make sense,
you'll want to remind them of the facts or ask them to remember
previous conversations or events.
What most caregivers don't know is that this approach
often makes the situation worse.
Logical explanations cause agitation and anger.
Having Alzheimer's or dementia is scary and confusing
for your older adult.
Using logic and reason to explain why you're right and they're wrong
is likely to mke them agitated, defensive, angry or act out with difficult behavior.
Instead, the best thing you can do is not try to bring them back into reality.

OK.
I've lost the link, but it just may be a sanity-saver for someone else
as it is for me this morning!
I KNEW this but am facing the reality once again. 
I definitely needed the adjustment.
*** 
It's deja vu all over again!

6 comments:

  1. Love, hugs & prayers for you dear Rebecca ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lorraine. There is Grace for this and all our trials (as you know so we'll)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really excellent and makes perfect sense! Prayers for you as you walk this path again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A painful topic for me. I have a relative who may or may not being going through this. How can you tell? I have tried in the past to "clear things up" or "challenge" what seemed like irrational thinking, if that's even a good way to say it...but it did not go well. My sister has a friend who just listens. He had an aunt who experienced something similar and found the best thing was just to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...it's not my sister. I said that awkwardly. My sister's friend listens to our relative patiently.

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU for the video link you sent me, Rebecca!

      Delete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)