Led Astray

Last Wednesday evening, I led a half-hour "singspiration" from the piano
at our weekly prayer meeting gathering at church.
During the afternoon, I'd jotted down some numbers and titles,
having grabbed the first writing surface I could find  beside my chair--
an old greeting card.
That evening I began with (what I thought was) the first one on my list.
To my surprise, number 5 was NOT "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"
as I'd expected!
I puzzled my way through the rest of the evening
finding NONE of my numbers corresponding with the hymns I'd selected!
When I got home, I went straight to the hymnal I thought was the same
as the one we use on Wednesday evenings.  It WAS!
What then was the explanation?
I was quite perplexed.
Finally, I turned the card over and then realized my error.
To my chagrin, I realized the list that wasn't working
contained the numbers of pages in the book I'd been reading.
(I do this frequently, returning when I reach the end of the book
to copy significant lines into my journal.)
I had been led astray by referring to the wrong side. 
Do you do that (make notes while reading on random pieces of paper)?
I chuckled at myself in relief at having solved the situation.
I also made note of the potential to be led astray by inadequate, false,
and faulty information on subjects with far more serious consequences
than the one I'd just experienced!

Don't be led astray by various kinds of strange teachings; 
for it is good for the heart to be established by grace and not by foods, 
since those involved in them have not benefited.
Hebrews 13:9
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)