The Parable of the Tithonia

Flowers in one of our flower beds
It was generally a great season for our amateurish gardening efforts this summer.
Flowers grew to unusual heights here at Gatescroft.
Apparently the growth phenomenon wasn't limited to our backyard.
One of the gardening blogs I enjoy, Garden in a City,  recorded a similar pattern. 
 In the case of the city gardener, it was the Mexican Sunflower that grew to massive proportions.
The blogger noted:  "...we cannot be blind to the flaws of those whom we love. 
This past week I learned about such a flaw."
His (or could be her) lovely Tithonia had grown to seven and eight foot heights!
Its normal height is four to six feet.
At its unusual height, it couldn't stand up to pounding rains.  
"The stems are thick but not flexible. 
They crack but do not bend if the weight and force of the water is great enough," 
the gardener noted.
Of the four plants originally planted along the driveway,
only one survived and was promptly staked to a ten-foot length of rebar.

As I read the account of the Tithonia,
I couldn't help but think of people. 
Leaders and celebrities in the world in general and in Christendom.
Those who "grow" in actual position and/or perception beyond their "normal" status.
Like the Mexican Sunflower, too many of such folk crack 
under adverse internal and external weights and forces.
Some don't "survive",
and those who do need to be promptly "staked" to strong support systems.
 Bottom line?
We "can't be blind to the flaws of those we love"
and must be diligent in tending to our own!

Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. 
I Corinthians 10:12

8 comments:

  1. I love finding spiritual truths in nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Tamara - and I've "found" a few lately. Thought I'd better get them into print before I forget them!

      Delete
  2. Awesome analogy. Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. You, too - holiday weekend.....

      Delete
  3. I know The Lord loves it when we discover the spiritual truths through His creation. This analogy is wonderful. Going into one of my journals!
    Hope you all are doing well and getting stronger every day!
    xx oo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting comparison and so insightful! I have the same flower you posted in my garden. We call them Dragon Tales but mine are more of a lavender. Do you know the proper name? Mine are in bloom right now. I'm just getting them started from slips last year from my mother. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the Russian Sage (more lavender) or the pinker ones - which I think are Liatris (but I keep forgetting)?

      Delete
  5. I love the way you see things spiritually...

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)