I recognize this particular truth directly applies to charitable giving. But as I think about it, I wonder if the principle doesn't apply to some other areas of my life? I am evaluating the "urge/temptation" in me to broadcast my thoughts (Yep! See? I'm doing it right now!), my "finds", my creations, my activities -- you get the picture?
In 2012, I am looking for balance between being "The good (wo)man (who) brings good things out of the good stored up in (her)" - see Matthew 12:35 - and disobeying the intent of Jesus in Matthew 6:3.
Just thinking "out loud on paper" here...
This post summarized Matthew 6:3 this way and was challenging to me.
- Help the needy in secret without broadcasting it.
- Do not tell close relatives or friends.
- Do not tell yourself (by thinking about it). Just do it.
- Don't expect to be repaid by those you help.
- God will repay you; if not in this life then in the next.
What think YE?