from Basic to Beautiful

 The cover of the September issue of one of my favorite magazines
looks like this (above).
My husband is an expert in turning things from basic to beautiful.
This week he removed this old chalkboard from its "plain Jane" frame
and put it into a fancier one--in LESS than an hour, I might add.
In just a little over an hour, he sanded the top of the small table, painted the legs black,
and applied wax to the surfaces.  We found the table curbside, beside a trash can. 
Thankfully, we arrived at just the right time to rescue it, a child's chair, 
a wonderful coffee table, and a child's stroller!
THIS project will take a little longer!  It is an old Singer sewing machine cabinet 
we "redeemed" for $5.  If the machine can't be repaired for a reasonable price,
I think the cabinet would make a wonderful desk for my laptop.

I can't help but think how God rescued me!  Took me from the basic, throw-away condition I was in before I was "found" by Him and made me NEW and BEAUTIFUL!  So young was I when He did it, that I don't have a good "before and after" picture in my mind.  But every now and then, I get a peek into my old, sinful nature and realize how bad it is...how disgusting and dark my life would be if He hadn't stepped in and performed the MIRACLE of grace.  Turns out HE'S the EXPERT in this and is still in the business of turning basic sinners into beautiful saints!

Christ arrives right on time to make this happen. He didn't, and doesn't, wait for us to get ready. He presented himself for this sacrificial death when we were far too weak and rebellious (and young?) to do anything to get ourselves ready. And even if we hadn't been so weak (and young?), we wouldn't have known what to do anyway. We can understand someone dying for a person worth dying for, and we can understand how someone good and noble could inspire us to selfless sacrifice. But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him.  (Romans 5:6-8)

12.  Thankful for my washer and dryer.  Convenient & dependable.

11 comments:

  1. It is nothing short of amazing how you find these treasures. I don't understand how people can just throw things like this away when they can be repaired and restored for years of good use. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca~
    I can't see the photos you took of your wonderful finds and how they will be transformed from basic to beautiful by your expert because of my crazy internet connection, but I am just excited to be able to comment today!!!
    Love your life lesson here. So glad that "while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us!"
    What an amazing God we serve!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ... I do so love a good, creative project! I'm not very good at it myself, but I sure appreciate such clever outcomes.

    I love it, too, that God doesn't fix me up, but makes me new. There's something so very amazing in how He works I'm often left speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, saved by the grace of God am I. Thankfully!! Your furniture finds are fortunate to have been found by you and Gary who I know will give them new life!!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and timely post, Rebecca!
    ...you always write just what I need to read!
    *blessings and grace for each day*
    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. wooHoooO!
    You have been at it again! Love the redo's!
    I can see a desk for your laptop too!
    Grace chicky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely analogy! God does make all things new!

    You found some great things to redo. I admire your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also thankful for God's abounding grace in my life. So thankful He never gave up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this...grace, sweet grace...aren't we thankful that He saves us?
    Fun projects you have going on there...
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this object lesson! Oh, yes, I am thankful that He rescued me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes...I have been reminded of that in the purest of form this past weekend..thanks for the lesson I needed to hear again...how humbling

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)