Verbatim

 "He who believes in Me, out of his heart will flow..." (John 7:38)



Jesus did not say, "He who believes in Me will realize all the blessings of the fullness of God," but, in essence, "He who believes in Me will have everything he receives escape out of him."






Our Lord's teaching was always anti-self-realization.  His purpose is not the development of a person--His purpose is to make a person exactly like Himself, and the Son of God is characterized by self-expenditure.
If we believe in Jesus, it is not what we gain but what He pours through us that really counts.  God's purpose is not simply to make us beautiful, plump grapes, but to make us grapes so that He may squeeze the sweetness out of us.  
 

Our spiritual life cannot be measured by success as the world measures it, but only by what God pours through us--and we cannot measure that at all.

(VERBATIM from My Utmost for His Highest, 1st paragraph for September 2.)  The grapes are "mine" -- what's left of a larger collection...See HERE for a few more.

11 comments:

  1. Oswald Chambers challenges me every morning. I'm thankful for the challenge!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes read that also today and thought about how much joy comes from God flowing out of us. It spoke to me deeply...thanks for expanding through the visual also....."by what God pours through us"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I've been studying more about being God's image bearer. It's hard to fathom isn't it? I also keep seein those grapes. How when we're squeezed by the pressures of this life, our real stuff comes out. REFINE ME LORD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so rich and tasty, just like
    grapes. Enduring the pressures of life and
    being mercifully and lovingly squeezed by
    His Spirit. Nothing like it to bring out
    all that needs to come out and then be
    ready to be filled and refilled by Him.
    Pour through us, Lord!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do want to be like Jesus, so that when pharisees or persecutors squeeze me, His love and truth come oozing out.

    Lovely grapes! Thanks for sharing.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice...thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Oswald Chambers! I read his biography a few years ago and was touched by his humor and humility. He was just a regular guy with a powerful ministry that lingers still.

    Thanks for adding your grapes. The visual is so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rebecca, first thing first. I so enjoyed reading your "Thank You post"just a fun read..
    And this post, just makes my heart sing, He was and continues to be our example.
    Enjoy your Labor Day weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can honestly say that I could not have gone through that surgery without any less faith than what I went in with. It was an amazing feeling to just hand myself over to God. Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diana, funny you should say that. I've only had one surgery - gall bladder - and it came up kind of fast. As I think about it, it WAS an amazing feeling to just hand myself over to God also. Could it be because there was absolutely nothing I could do about it? Even coming out and the first couple of days after, I was dependent on the care of others. I guess I didn't feel good enough to do anything else. Not even worry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Rebecca. I read the whole passage for September 2. Wow! That is strong language . . . "His teaching was always anti-self-realization."
    Good for us to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)