Make It Do


Use it up;
Wear it out;
Make it do
Or do without.



On our last visit to my parents (83 years old), my mother proudly directed me to their bedroom where the blue phone (above) sat on their nightstand.  Two of the off-white phones in their home had faded or yellowed, she thought.  And so she and my father went to find spray paint to match the decor of their rooms.

She isn't quite satisfied with the shade of blue, but I thought it was gorgeous!  My father took the phones apart - took the covers off the keys, etc. and spray painted them.  Who would have thought to do this?  They wanted me to go visit one of their neighbors who sprayed his wife's shoes!  I didn't have time, but maybe NEXT time I go I'll return with some photos of the spray-painted shoes.

I think this kind of "make-do" would serve us all well these days, don't you?

11 comments:

  1. Creative, frugal and sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, and Rebecca I have a friend that often spray paints old shoes making them look like new and she always looks so nice in her matching shoes and outfits......:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I was just thinking about that! And a friend and I were saying the other day how we have so many coats, jackets, shoes, etc. and how it never used to be like that. We used to have a 'going to church' coat and a play jacket, and we had school shoes, 'church' shoes, and sneakers, and that was it! And when the heels and soles wore down we took them to the shoemaker, you used the same shoes until you outgrew them (except the sneakers we got new when they wore out). And if you had older siblings you wore hand-me-downs!
    What happened to us????
    I seriously have to change my ways!

    LOVE the phone! It's a perfect shade of blue!

    Love to you,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. My philosophy with most things... especially my 10 year old van that is soon to have the floorboards disappear, and we're back to the days of Flintstones.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue phone. Well, it sounds like something your hubby might have done too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just gotta love this! Love Di

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that blue phone!! That is such a wonderful way to approach things...try to fix and make do...love it :)
    Hope you are having a happy January!
    Stay safe and warm....
    Love, Jerelene

    ReplyDelete
  8. What amazes me is the quality of paint he used...it looks as if the phone was bought that way and is brand new!! Can you find out what type of paint your father used? I just love saving and redoing things. Did he have to sand the phone first? No wonder you are so talented at taking care of and appreciating God's good earth!

    blessings and thankful hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marcy, It amazed me, too - seeing in "in person" astonished me. I asked if he used that new kind that you can paint plastic yard furniture with. He said "no". Just regular spray paint. I'm pretty sure he didn't sand the phone. He said he just sprayed really light coats - didn't prime, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)