In the Beginning...



In the beginning was a blog post by a woman whose lifestyle and words fascinate and frequently inspire me.  THIS post, titled "Much comes from nothing".  (The title alone drew me in!)  The comment thread that followed included Gretchen's words, "As I get older, I sense my life becoming smaller, fewer activities, a tiny circle of dear friends, staying close to home, simple meals, simple life. it's quite lovely. no regrets."

In my response/comment, I copied these words from Pen's post itself and followed them up this way:  "...an important component in this is the presence of ‘nothing’. Nothing to do, nowhere to go, no money. Having to wait, having to sit quietly, being by yourself."  How well said. I think I shall remember these lines for a long, long time. I rather identify with Gretchen above and actually instead of "having to", I frequently CHOOSE to wait, sit quietly, be by myself..."

To which Pen replied:  "Yes - interesting, isn't it. This does seem to be an emerging theme as we get older - the need for quietness and routine, the need to just be, to contemplate, to live slowly. One-event days, and occasionally no-event days!"

Sometimes, the comments are as important as the post in the beginning. 
That's the way it is with blogs, don't you think?
And that's the way with AGING! 
The need for quietness and routine, 
to just be,
to contemplate,
to live slowly...
and occasionally no-event days.
(I'm getting to experience all this for myself
AND
to observe it lived out in the life of my 90-year-old father
who has come to "do life with us" in our home.)

3 comments:

  1. I have seen this with my parents, too, the one event kind of day. Everything hinges on that one thing. My mother in law was not like that until dementia took her independence. She still served others, hosting people, doing prison ministry...

    I like having quiet days. They help me deal with the busy ones! I guess I like the idea, like you said of choosing it.

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)