A Delicious Confection

Finished this one on Saturday, the 4th of June.
It was hard to read it to myself--
so many humorous passages, vivid descriptions of the small mediaeval Italian Castle,
its beautiful setting, and amusing characters
that  I wanted to share its deliciousness with my husband.
So I did.  Frequently.
Though written almost a century ago,
the wit and portrayal of human nature and relationships is timeless.
While recording it on the list of  other books read ("Reading" tab above),
I noticed that I read this author in 2012.
Believe me, I won't let so much time pass before I read another of hers!
True to the blurb on its cover, this delicious confection worked its magic on me.

It began in a woman's club in London on a February afternoon,--an uncomfortable club, and a miserable afternoon--when Mrs. Wilkins.....

What  delicious confections are you reading this summer?

7 comments:

  1. I definitely want to read this book, what you post here makes it sound fabulous. I just bought von Arnim's Elizabeth and Her German Garden but haven't read anything by her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one that I read in 2012. I went out and got a second one right away after that....then got sidetracked until I read THIS one. I laughed and laughed -- but at the same time, basked in the beauty of the setting of the Enchanted April. Hope you enjoy it even 1/2 as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've got me wanting to see if my local library has this author and book.

    Have a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you can find it! It was so entertaining - and had some wonderful lessons in it, too. We're wrapping up a beautiful week at the Abbey of Gethsemani in KY. The weather has been wonderful; the scenery amazing; the silence and solitude so refreshing...

      Delete
  4. An excellent book. And, the movie is extremely well done and very enjoyable, almost like you are vacationing in the villa too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! (Did you email me the other day? I was afraid to open it for fear it might have been spam! I have thought about you frequently!)

      Delete
  5. Didn't they make a movie from this book? I don't think I read the book but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)