When Will I Ever Learn

I seriously did this!  
Tape over the mouth MIGHT have been a better choice.
It was when I temporarily removed the pen that I got into trouble.

I said, "I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue.  
I will guard my mouth with a muzzle so long as the wicked are in my presence." 
I was mute and silent.  I held my peace to no avail and my distress grew worse.
My heart became hot within me.  
As I mused, the fire burned;
then I spoke with my mouth.
...
"And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?  My hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions.
Do not make me the scorn of the fool!  
I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it."
(Psalm 39, selected verses)

Know this, my beloved brothers:  let every person be quick to hear,
slow to speak, slow to anger;
for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires. 
(James 1:19-20)

When will I ever learn?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    Hope this finds you well.........
    I am not sure we will ever learn completely while we are down here.....but hopefully we are slowly being transformed and say dumb or stupid things less.
    I shudder sometimes when I look back at some of the stupid things I have said
    over the years........Ughhhhh!
    All the trees around your home look beautiful.......love that color too!
    and how nice that your siblings and you and your Dad all did a service at
    your Mom's nursing facility.....
    You take care hon,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rebecca ~ knowing when to keep our mouths shut, at least for me, is an ongoing lesson. We are being made into His likeness daily. One day, in eternity, we will truly be like Him, know Him as He is and praise Him forever for changing us from sinful creatures to creatures/children of beauty.

    God's continued blessings on you ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it IS an ongoing lesson. Seems I "flunk" too often!

      Delete
  3. I try to hold back, I promise myself, and then ... I pray the same prayer because I goofed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray with Apostle Paul (well, kind of), "O wretched (wo)man that I am! Who will deliver me...?"

      Delete
  4. Sometimes the wrong thing pops out. How does that happen! You have shared the ideal verses for us all to pay attention to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also Psalm 141:3: "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!"

      Delete
  5. On going lesson here too, learning when to speak and when to keep quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch. (I ask myself the same question.)

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)