Presence

This morning while packing my bag for the hours I will spend with my mother, I realized there was little I could pack that would meet the reality of the present.  In the past months, I have packed puzzles, books, yarn, clay, crayons, photo albums, and all sorts of other activities that we have shared.  My laptop has provided entertainment, too--cute videos of children, songs of the DeZurik sisters straight from her past, and hymns to soothe the soul.

But lately, she has little interest or energy to spend on "activity".  And as I looked about my home wondering what I could take, words from the Lord to Moses crossed my mind.  I stopped to find them in Exodus 34:14.

The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.

It is enough.  Presence!  How desperately I need His Presence--and with it, rest.
And today I will give her the gift of MY presence.  It will be enough.
A holding of hand.
A smile or a tear.
A cup of water.
A foot rub, perhaps.
I will share her space and be as present as I can be.


18 comments:

  1. Wow, an absolutely perfect bible verse that holds truth and brings comfort. Praying you have safe travels and a satisfying time with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The verse and His Presence were both experienced today. Thanks for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post in the photo of you and your Mom and the Bible verse just meant for this time in your life.

    Thank you for sharing and may today be filled with the peace, love, joy and strength of Jesus our Awesome God.

    Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine. My morning was filled with all of that and THEN some! Thanks for your love, hugs AND prayers.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and strong post...have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia. The trip takes just under an hour and it's one I make at least 3-4 times a week. This was another good morning.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful and touching post dedicated to your dear mother. I too have a mother that is aging, although she's a healthy 85 year old, I still don't know for how long.
    Lovely Bible verse and I love the pic of the both of you.
    Have a good trip and a great week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fabby! I know you share the joy that comes from having a parent still living - and to be healthy and active, WOW!

      Delete
  5. The Lord gave you that encouragement! What a blessing and example you are Rebecca, of loving and honoring your parents.

    Thank you
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, He id (give me that encouragement)! My sister went with me - I was doubly blessed.

      Delete
  6. I agree that presence is often the ideal gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so beautiful, my friend ....inside and out. What an awesome verse God gave you to ponder....so fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful perspective. I needed to hear this today.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, just beautiful. What a perfect thought for the day. He is good.

    Wishing you grace and rest for the journey.

    Hugs,
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful post Rebecca... very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So precious. Not just your presence, but God's, too. A gift to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God's Word is always there to be a comfort. Glad it was for you.

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)