Another Book; Another Salmon Meal

Would you believe I finished ANOTHER book today?  Gatsby's Girl by Caroline Preston.  It was one I picked off the library shelf "cold turkey" along with enough others to keep me reading even if one or two didn't hold my interest.  Well, this one did!  It's told in the first person voice by a young lady who met F. Scott Fitzgerald as a teenager and continued an interest in his writing into her midlife--a bit of fiction without enough history and Chicago references to really hold my attention!
Ironically, I picked it up to read after roaming over the Carl Sandburg home in Flat Rock, N.C. this afternoon.  My husband and I sat on a bench overlooking this scene.  High up on the hill sits the house. I opened the book to chapter 13 where the main character is telling about her appearance in the Chicago Tribune's society pages.  She describes the caption under her picture as containing a newly released volume of poetry by -- YES!  Carl Sandburg!  (I thought it VERY coincidental.)
This was such a wonderful place to spend a vacation day. 
The weather was perfect and we found a great place to eat in the afternoon.  
I enjoyed smoked salmon on Asian slaw eaten outdoors in the sunshine.
My second salmon-based meal of vacation - I hope for one more!

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo you took in Flat Rock.
    I love the scenery there...so idyllic.
    I am glad that you spent a memorable vacation day today. May all your days be filled with love and happiness.
    Hugs,
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love fresh salmon at our house and this looks delish.
    Your vacation roaming Carl Sandburg's home sounds fun and the book intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,
    Now that sounds like a pretty perfect way to spend the day, and the salmon looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good book, sunshine, and smoked salmon. Does it get any better?

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)