Sabbath

On the way back from our "Welcomed Change", we made a planned stop in a town north of our home.  We visited a small thrift store and at 10:30 found our way to a corner coffee shop.  After ordering coffee and a muffin, we climbed the steep steps in the back of the building to the loft and settled comfortably into an old couch.

It was from there that we watched one of my favorite authors, Eugene Peterson, interviewed in a live-stream format.  Though I'd read his writing on the subject of Sabbath Keeping, it was different hearing it from his lips.  Seeing this 80 year old man demonstrate Sabbath as he spoke drove the words deeper into my mind and heart.  (Of course, Husband and I were also returning home after a Sabbath of our own, so it all "fit".)

God is good.  The SABBATH experience is good.

An added bonus to seeing the interview was the realization that reading the words on the page of the Bible is good--but experiencing it via the living Person of the Holy Spirit is  phenomenal. Literally!   The words take on new, life-changing significance when explained personally by the Author.  My real-life experience yesterday gives me new appreciation for this fact.
Funny!  I just noticed the words "welcomed change" and "planned stop" 
in my first sentence of this post.  
Those four words summarize the Sabbath concept quite well! 

15 comments:

  1. It sounded like a really good day Rebecca. Now I have to ask, did you find any material goodies?!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a good day. And per the question: Yes. Small things. But delightful as usual. $3 bought Gary 2 pr. slacks and a sweater - PLUS my small things: a child's book, a ceramic kitty cat, a spool of pink velvet ribbon, a white Homer Laughlin bowl....!

      Delete
  2. Now I have a mission - to read Sabbath Keeping by Eugene Peterson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara, I'm pretty sure that's not the name of the book. I've read articles and chapters in some of his other books on the subject. Honestly, I haven't read ANYthing he's written that disappointed me. He's thoughtful, intelligent, and wise (in my opinion). You probably also know that he translated The Message version of the Bible...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed to find so many titles on Amazon that he's either authored or co-authored in some cases. The Message version is one of my favorites. It reads like a 'love letter' (and it is!) and ministers to my spirit.

      Delete
  4. Nice post, Rebecca, and you do sound peaceful, and seem refreshed.
    Yes, the Spirit can and does do that for us!

    And I love how the little bits and pieces of thrift thrill you! God Bless!
    Love and Prayers,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiritual combined with thrifting....a perfect mix for welcomed change:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting and commenting at Jeremiah 29:11. It is my HOPE that I can welcome this change in my own life....it really wasn't a planned stop...but one God planned for me. So glad you got a chance to get away and come home refreshed and renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your time away with your husband sounds so refreshing and peaceful. I love The Message Bible and was just planning to begin reading some of Eugene's books. This one sounds like one I'd want to start with.
    Love your thrift items especially the Laughlin bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading through Exodus and have been reminded again of the importance God placed on the Sabbath day as a day of rest. And I think of Jesus' words, "Come . . . and rest a while" in Mark 6. Someone correctly said that if we don't come apart (for rest and renewal), we will come apart!

    Sometimes the short rests are as valuable as the longer getaways. Sounds like yours was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Glenda. Sometimes short rests ARE as beneficial as longer getaways. Each has their place...now as in Old Testament times.

      Delete
  10. Love how you shared the Sabbath Rebecca!!
    It's beautiful how this day all came together like it did!
    Rejoicing with you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been leading a small group of women through a 6 week study by Jim Cymbala on the Holy Spirit. We're learning so much. I'm grateful for the "inside" Teacher who enables me to take hold of his words and to know truth more fully. What a friend we have in Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit... great company for all Sabbath rests.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)