Temporary Clarity

Three red trees that appear better in "real life"
"...but I think pretty flashing Christmas lights out in the snow don't necessarily have a lot to do with the sacred birth of Messiah..."  It was this line in an otherwise rather wandering post on a blog site with an intriguing name (to me) that finally brought clarity (at least temporarily) about the whole celebrating Christmas situation.

I may not agree with her starting point, but I think I DO agree with this statement.  For me, this Christmas, it would be more intellectually honest to say, "I love this holiday called Christmas.  I love the traditions.  I love carols, candles and cookies.  I love sleighs, poinsettias, fireplaces with stockings, the giving of gifts, and everything ELSE that says "Christmas"!  

We do get carried away with purchasing, decorating, and partying.  Sometimes some of us actually ARE celebrating Jesus' birth.  Other times we are celebrating a season and trying to bring some coziness and warmth into our homes and family life.  Sometimes the advent banner that says, "It's All About Family" IS our truth, and it really isn't all about Jesus.  So rather than lying, pretending or feeling guilty or twisting things to put the best spin on them,  at least I want to be honest and say, 

" pretty flashing Christmas lights out in the snow
don't necessarily have a lot to do with the sacred birth of Messiah..."

Ah!  Clarity!  Temporarily, at least...
Oh, Eileen.  Your comment on my last post contributed
to my temporary clarity, too!  Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this ;) :) Yes, we're going to remember HIs birth this year. Hey, did you realize that Christmas falls on a SUnday this year? Yeah :) :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those little red trees are very pretty!

    I love your statement: "I love this holiday called Christmas. I love the traditions. I love carols, candles and cookies. I love sleighs, poinsettias, fireplaces with stockings, the giving of gifts, and everything ELSE that says "Christmas"!

    Since when do we need to apologize for the joy we feel during this season? In our sincere desire to pull back from the frenzy of the way "the world" celebrates the holidays, I believe many Christians have laid a guilt trip on themselves that Jesus never intended. As you know, I too am on a quest to celebrate in a more sane, simple, and sacred way...I say let's celebrate our savior's birth in a way that will attract others to Him...let's be honest...as you said...and not deny we love the warm feelings we get from our traditions, and we love drawing our families and friends close. These are gifts our Heavenly Father has bestowed on us...like all good gifts, we need to accept them with gratitude and thanksgiving. All the while, let us not abuse what we have been given or profane the holiness of the season with undue excess. I am SO excited about THIS Christmas...without my Savior I would be so lost, so undone, so pathetic. WITH Him, all things are possible. Luke 1:37

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto to everything Jacquelyn said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hearty AMEN to what Jacquelyn said! Oh, my goodness, since when do we celebrate ANYONE's birthday with "sitting" and no colorful fun? It's no wonder so many people want nothing to do with Christianity - even Jesus thought there should be more wine at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Rebeccca...you might be "award free"...but I left you one on my blog. You don't have to go thru the "requirements"...but I wanted to let you know how much you mean to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hearty AMEN! to everything Jacquelyn said!!

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)