He Shall Feed His Flock

Next to the Hallelujah Chorus in Handel's Messiah,  I believe my favorite music and text is He Shall Feed His Flock.  This beautiful alto solo is so calming and full of promise!  As a high school student, I took voice lessons.  My instructor selected this solo for my vocal range, and I memorized this beautiful aria for a music contest one year.  I'm VERY thankful.  Its message has remained with me all these years.  Here is its text: 



 He shall feed His flock like a shepherd; 
and He shall gather the lambs with His arm,
and carry them in His bosom, 
and gently lead those that are with young. (Isaiah 40:11)
Come unto Him, all ye that labour, come unto Him ye that are heavy laden, 
and He will give you rest. 
Take His yoke upon you, and learn of Him, 
for He is meek and lowly of heart, and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
(Matthew 11:28-29)

 
 Several of my sheep and lamb collection (and two cats)
are displayed on this shelf.
None are too "precious" - mostly thrifted plastic "strays".

Did you attend a performance of Handel's Messiah this year?
Do you have a favorite selection from it?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by....it was wonderful meeting Dawn!
    Yes, we have gone to see and hear the Messiah several times...it is wonderful.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sang this as a solo as well. Music in high school got me through some really bad times. Thanks for sharing this. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sheep. My daughter photographed a lamb for me for my birthday and while in England, I so enjoyed photographing them in the picturesque countryside. My daughter bought me a beautiful, encyclopedia-like book for Christmas with great pictures of all the breeds and their wool capabilities. Cherishing that book!

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)