Fishing Hole, Fishing Pole, and a Fine Fisher Man

 After the egg hunt last Saturday, our grandkids enjoyed the view at water's edge.
Dwyane (our host) brought out a fishing pole. 
It seemed like only a minute or two before Abby caught a pretty good-sized catfish!

 Titus was determined, but he caught nothing!
Seeing his disappointment, Dwyane cast out into deeper waters 
and let Titus hold the rod.  Finally success!
Another good-sized catfish!
We went home with two very happy grandchildren
thanks to the kindness and patience of a VERY fine fisherman.

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew.  They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fisherman.  "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."  At once they left their nets and followed him.
Matthew 4:16-20

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  Thinking about THIS kind and patient Man who calls us to "fish for men"...and sits beside us patiently as we do little more than "hold the pole"...

9 comments:

  1. There's something holy and sacred about a "cast into deep waters." Something about a fine Fisherman as well.

    Casting into deep waters this afternoon. Trying to get some writing done!

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going fishing with my dad when
    I was a little girl. I was always elated
    to get a catch but then so afraid to get
    it off the hook! Thank God for strong
    brave fathers. These little ones look
    to be having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake and I haven't been fishing in years. But we did teach our children how to fish. The two oldest still fish. Katie never seemed to interested. And now the grandchildren fish with there father. It's a beautiful circle.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing more fun than fishing with grampa! what a great
    way to spend easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that! Yes, I need to remember that I can't make the fish jump on the hook. I only hold the pole with the right bait, and He does the rest.

    Great analogy, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the analogy of holding the pole. Last night at prayer meeting, a lovely young woman was distraught over 'doing enough' for Jesus. She said she felt like it was her responsibility to save EVERYONE! She broke out into gut wrenching sobs at the thought of anyone dying without salvation. I can't wait to tell her this analogy. It perfectly illustrates the Lord's will for us. We are His hands and feet on earth. He said that His burden is light~ we just hold the pole...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that word picture of Jesus sitting beside us, encouraging us, saying, "Cast on the other side . . . try again . . . be patient."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this looks like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, Rebecca. Great thoughts on a popular hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)