Who Needs God Anyway?

One of the billboards going up in Indianapolis and at least 3 other cities in the U.S.A.
“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands.  And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.  From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.  God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’ (Paul, speaking to philosophers in Athens, Acts 17:24-28)

There were some differences between the scene in Athens in the first century A.D. and Indianapolis in the 21st.  They didn't erect billboards in Athens and they actually WERE religious.  Just not Christian.  But Paul went right on speaking truth to some highly intelligent people! Babbling for Jesus:  Speaking Truth to Highly Intelligent People is the title of a sermon worth reading if you wonder how to initiate a conversation about JESUS.  Not God in general.  Not religion.  But JESUS in whom God was reconciling us to Himself!

Yes, there ARE loving, caring, and hopeful people who live without a belief in God.  But there is a whole dimension they are missing.  Jesus  gives me hope of eternal life in the world to come!  He extended and modeled perfect love by laying down His life for us.  He cares for us when friends and family disappoint us.  He came that we might have life and have it "more abundantly"!

Personally, I have no argument with the statement on the sign--only sadness that many highly intelligent people settle for hoping, caring, loving and living for THIS life only without factoring in the reality of ETERNITY!

The sermon I linked to above ends with some practical suggestions and encouragement for those who want to "Speak Truth to Highly Intelligent People".
Forget arguments.  
Forget convoluted discussions about religion. 
But babble on about Jesus.

14 comments:

  1. Yikes! What insanity...I couldn't survive a day without acknowledging my Elohim...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to babble about sweet Jesus. There's
    nobody quite like Him. This is very saddening
    and I guess I'm a little shocked too. My city
    is so new age that I guess it won't be long
    before I spot one of those billboards here.
    Sure, anyone CAN live without Jesus but it
    won't be a very fulfilling life and in the
    next life, which is eternal, it will be
    hell without Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very sad sign Rebecca, and I think about all of those who will buy into it. Thank you for your insights and thoughts tonight.Enjoy your weekend!
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that there are people who choose not to believe in God. After all our country was formed on freedom of religion or no religion. But I just can't help but feel how totally empty I would feel If I chose not to believe. I can't get through a day without praying for guidance.
    Last week while calling my husband I was saying a prayer for him when he unexpectedly answered the phone and heard me talking. He said "Who were you talking to?", I said that I was talking to God. I do this several times a day. Who would I talk to if not for him?
    Have a good weekend Rebecca. We are celebrating Jakes 49th birthday today, if he ever gets home! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I already commented here...this is just plain insanity. I guess that group has the same right to put up billboards as the ones that send a "message" from God...

    I pray that God will continually create more love in me for those who don't know Him or understand the sacrifice He made for the sins of the whole world.

    I want to be a light that shines for Him...it really IS a dark world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes our buses have been having signs on them like that...especially when a large events comes, like Super Bowl.
    I will drop by to read the sermon.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are here on earth such a short time compared with eternity.....those people who don't believe truly need our prayers........:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    The sign above is insinuates that no one needs God to practice those qualities they mentioned. What caught my eye is the last one - No one needs God ... to live. That is pure heresy.

    If God did not create any of us, none of us would be alive in this world.

    You are right, they forget about eternal life.

    Blessings,
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lidj, I did not mean to imply that I agree with the statement - only that I'm sure those posting it really DO believe it to be so.

    Heresy defined is: An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of (a religious) dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.

    Clearly these are NOT professed believers so I'm not sure it falls under the category of heresy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought......since Jesus came into my heart.........I have light in my soul for which long I had sought....

    ReplyDelete
  11. The world is hurting and deceptions about life rampant. Seeing that makes me sad.

    But it is Lent and a season of renewal and hope...maybe we can focus some prayers on this issue...

    I want to believe someday the world will turn back to Jesus.

    Have a wonderful week Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sad to see such a sign, yet I had heard they were gaining in popularity. Only true Christianity will dispel the myth of not needing God. It is high time we Christians lived like the Christians in the book of Acts--needing Him day to day and demonstrating the wonder of His love and power to a hurting world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW... this just strikes me deeply at my core. You're right, not much different from Athens.

    I'm thinking what I might put on a billboard in response.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yesterday (3/16) we were coming back from inspecting a house in Trafalgar on Lamb Lake and saw the sign on I465, coming around the city. Makes you sick to see those deceptive words up there. The only thing I can think of is someday these people are going to be horrified to see their future. Have a good trip... spotted you on Debbie's blog... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)