A CHRISTMAS FLOWER


Last night I was wrapping presents while listening to Christmas carols and enjoying the romance and glow of candlelight when a friend and neighbor called asking if she come come over!  As she came inside the door, she handed me this BEAUTIFUL Christmas cactus.  "Happy Birthday," was her greeting.

I don't have the greenest thumb when it comes to indoor plants, but almost every year I treat myself to a poinsettia.  This year I decided to forgo the disappointment of watching it grow increasingly forlorn as its leaves dropped during the month of January.  I had looked longingly at other peoples' Christmas cacti but hadn't acted on my secret desire to own one.  To be so unexpectedly gifted last night was a great blessing.

"Unexpectedly gifted" is how I feel about God's love.  It continues to take me by surprise almost daily.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith.  And this is not your own doing; it is the GIFT of God..." (Ephesians 2:8).  Later in this letter Paul would pray...."that you, being rooted and grounded in love may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the LOVE of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God...." 

THIS is my Christmas prayer - for EVERYONE reading this and for those who never will..
Amen.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you have wonderful luck with your Christmas Cactus Rebecca! It's lovely!
    It's been nice visiting your lovely Blog
    these past few months. Thank you for your very appreciated friendship!
    Have a Joyful Christmas!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how Pretty :)

    Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas Rebecca :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gift! Beautiful post and a wonderful reminder of the Greatest Gift of all ~ God's Love for us!
    Enjoy your Christmas cactus!

    I won't be posting or visiting for awhile so I just want to take this time to wish you a Blessed Christmas and many Blessings in the New Year!
    Love to you,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca...I hope that your Christmas cactus continues to thrive.
    Your words are always encouraging.
    Merry Christmas to you!
    Smiles from Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful plant, and a wonderful surprise. Have a blessed Christmas weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)