An Ode to an Amish Maiden



An October Ode to an Amish Maiden
10/20/2017 - rlg
We watched her hold the reins
with confidence,
methodically and skillfully
guiding the harnessed strength
of four work horses
plodding steadily,
unaware of her who persistently
requested of her father this post
until he acquiesced.
Proudly now he watched her
successfully navigating the task.
“She’s my little farm girl,”
he explained simply. 

It was an almost holy moment for me yesterday as we stopped the car to watch the harvesting of a cornfield outside of our little town.  So holy was it that I respected the experience by resisting the temptation to sneak a photo.  So today, I paint with words

The Amish farmer/father arrived in the field with a horse drawn wagon to load the corn.  As he watched his daughter and nephew who were navigating some of the last rows in the field, he slipped through the fence and came over to the car to meet us with the explanation that inspired the above writing.

In reflecting on the beautiful, soul-stirring experience, I realize a longing deep within.  I recognize myself in that  Amish maiden--eager for a  challenging post.  Maybe even an unconventional post. And more than a longing to try out the reins (yes, even at THIS age), more than the untried, unconventional post, I long for my Lord's approval.

Yes.  I guess deep inside I'm my Father's "little farm girl"...



2 comments:

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)