Shadows

Early evening on our front porch.


My Heart Goes After Shadows

 'My God, how far I am from acting  according to what I know so well! I confess it, my heart goes after shadows. I love everything better than communion with You. I am ever eager to get away from You. Often I find it difficult even to say my prayers. There is hardly any amusement I would not  rather take up than set myself to think upon You. Give me grace, O my Father,  to be utterly ashamed of my own reluctance! Rouse me from sloth and coldness  and make me desire You with my whole heart. Teach me to love meditation,  sacred reading and prayer. Teach me to love what must  engage my mind for all eternity.' (Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman)

I frequently visit The Breadbox Letters.  I seldom leave without being challenged or inspired by the quotations and meditations Nancy has culled from sources rich in truth and piety.  This prayer she recently posted expresses MY heart's desire SO well--a heart so prone to "go after shadows"... 

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I love shadows and reflections. I noticed them just recently on a kitchen cabinet, of all things. But not the type of shadows you are talking about. I way too often get caught up in the things that will just fade away.... instead of putting my focus on the sound and solid. Great truths shared here... Words of wisdom and conviction. Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Beautiful. Sometimes I wish I could just sit among all the beautiful words of the world, let them surround me like flowers. But alas....daily life intrudes.

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)