Mid-August Reading

 After reading the light and totally delightful Unusual Uses for Olive Oil
by Alexander McCall Smith last week, I began another piece of light fiction that had been recommended on another blog.  It failed to "hold" me.
So after giving it what I thought to be a fair try, I decided to close it up and move on.
(Do YOU ever do that?)
I picked up a small paperback I had purchased at a thrift store some time ago.
I began by reading it aloud to my husband as we traveled yesterday.
It challenges my eyesight with its small print;
heightens my curiosity about that period in history;
brings tears to my eyes;
inspires me...
I read it with pen in hand.
I wonder if this will be one of the very few books I reread periodically?

"...the man and the hour were matched." 
My prayer:  "Father, match ME to the hour!"

Update:  Curiosity set in.  I googled to find out some information re. his family life
and became a bit disenchanted.  Sigh.  I shall continue the book, however.

2 comments:

  1. I never used to give up on a book or magazine. Once started I read every pages, kind of like not wanting to waste. But now my days and time are numbered...I can't waste either one of those either. So I give myself permission to move on. Lately all reading is a struggle due to life here and my powers of concentration along with available time. It is pouring rain here and thundering heavily...would be good for some other day, but very depressing today. The mornings are darker later...just not ready to move into that because it reminds me too much of winter. I hope you are having a good weekend there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have begun to do this. I feel doing this adds value to the things you do choose to give your reading time too. Books have been a difficult thing for me. I love them and yet sometimes hang on to them for the wrong reasons...imagining they somehow show the world something about me. Sometimes I have read things in order to say I have read them, now I don't feel that way. I try to hold onto them loosely and read what I benefit from and what truly interests me. I don't feel any guilt quitting a book any more. :)

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)