It's OK

IT’S OK (at least I tell myself)…
that I don’t discard a toothpaste tube until I’ve squeezed the very last bit out of it*
that we don’t go out to eat as often as we used to
that I still wear clothes I’ve owned for over 20 years
that few people comment on my blog posts
that I find crowds stressful
that I’ve only colored my hair once in my life
that I’ve never had a pedicure
if I never write another book
that I find loud music disturbing
that housekeeping isn’t my forte
that I’ve never read Tolkien
that I have more questions about the Bible than answers
that I’ve not replaced a few teeth that have fallen out
that I’m not currently attending a women’s Bible study
that (though I enjoy a partially full mug) I don’t depend on a cup of coffee to face the day

*Actually, it's kind of amazing!  Same thing with shampoo and deodorant. I got thinking about this as I brushed my teeth this morning.  A new tube of toothpaste is in the drawer, ready for use.  But it seems I never run out!  I feel a little like the widow in 2 Kings 4 except that my situation is not nearly so dire as hers was.  In fact, I want to clarify that we are not as hard-pressed for finances as some of the above lines would indicate.  There is a story behind each one and not a one of them has to do with necessity... 

10 comments:

  1. I've never written a book, had a pedicure, colored my hair. I don't attend a bible study....

    It is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list is interesting and creative, and we share some similarities including squeezing that toothpaste tube (a lifelong thing with me), I too find crowds stressful and housekeeping holds little charm for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading your stuff for a couple of years at least. Can't tell you how often I have been encouraged! Thank you & God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN. Appreciated the post. [Isn't old age great? LOL.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was nodding in agreement with several of the things you listed...and I've been known to put one of those giant black clips on the tooth paste tube to squeeze out the last drop....wonder if we could even cut it open and scrape out what refuses to be squeezed? Just kidding...sorta! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca--- I thought I'd pop over to your blog today since you're so often over at mine and I'm so glad I did! I especially liked this fun post--what a great idea to use in a post. I really enjoyed it, found many similarities to my own life and I also liked getting to know you a little better. Thanks for your encouraging comments over at my blog! Oh, and here's a link to my 'mustard-paisley curtains' which you said you'd like to see. :) Enjoy your day! Blessings, Debra

    http://hobbitcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, I always enjoy your writing yet rarely post a comment. Found your blog, "Thrifty at 60" years ago and check in now and again. How much I relate to your list (though I still seem to need coffee to start my day). Most days, I need to be reminded of His will, not my own. Your writing demonstrates this beautifully. Love the title of this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)