Not So Sure

After several of my blogger friends cited this author as one of their favorites,
I put a request in for Pilgrim's Inn from the main library and awaited its arrival at our local branch.
I struggled to finish it -- almost didn't!
(Lately, I've not been OCD'd about finishing books that I started if they didn't hold my interest.)
This one didn't.  For many reasons.
Maybe the biggest was the print and layout.
This edition was published in 1948 (the year of my birth, incidentally).
 This (above) was a typical page.  
If I were editing it today, I'd find a way to break up the print.
More white space, etc.
The setting and medieval references in it were confusing to me also.
This is a reflection on ME - not the book.
I soldiered through it to the end, though,
because there WERE some great lines in it
as indicated by the page numbers I jotted down on a paper I used to mark my place.
 I think I'll post a few of them another time.
I found many thought-provoking and insightful enough to revisit them...
I'm not so sure that I'll read another of her books.
****
If  you've read Elizabeth Goudge, what is YOUR favorite title?

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Goudge is an author I want to read but I have not read her yet. This title is one I have been keeping in mind to read. I am interested to read the quotes you might post in future, and which books of hers others recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waited a long time, too - after hearing so many recommend her books....Quotes are ready to post. Stay tuned :)

      Delete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)