Confessing and Repenting

A view of our newly painted front porch-totally unrelated to this post!




If you click on those words, you'll see they were written in December of 2015.
Now - six months later - I'm repenting again!
For the past sixteen days,
I've returned to a pattern of self-control when it comes to food choices and exercise.
I used to feel guilty about how many times I have "started over"
in this and a few other areas of my life.
But this morning as I walked in circles once again, 
I realized that - based on the definition that follows-
it's realistic to expect I'll need to repent DAILY.
And sometimes several TIMES a day!

Definition:  to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life


"The confession of evil works is the first beginning of good works."
"In failing to confess, Lord, I would only hide You from myself, not myself from You."
"If you excuse yourself in confession, you shut up sin within your soul, and shut out pardon“
--these three by St. Augustine
"The want of proper examination, true contrition, and a firm purpose of amendment, is the cause of bad confessions, and of the ruin of souls."  (And ruin of bodies, I might add!)
-St. Benedict Joseph Labre

This quote on Twitter this morning:
Whatever we fail to repent of we are destined to repeat. (Crawford Loritts)
and this:
 Q: How can you recognize repentance? 
A: Action not words.
The prodigal didn't sit with pigs saying "I repent" – he went home! Luke 15:17-24
(James MacDonald)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, mercy....this really pricked my heart. How often do I confess, but don't actually repent and turn away? Way too often. Thanks for the "gentle" reminder, sweet Lady. (and your newly painted porch looks great)

    ReplyDelete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)