Do You Ever Go Back?

Speaking of "words failing me".....this describes my prayer life. I find myself woefully incapable of expressing myself in verbal prayers lately. I stumble. I grasp for "proper" words. I ramble and garble. I can't collect my thoughts or express them in an "organized" manner. It's very humbling.

The words above were my response to a post on a blog recently.
I, who used to find pleasure in finding "just the right word" to express myself,
find myself with fewer and fewer words more and more of the time.
I returned to the blog this morning.  Sometimes there is a follow-up comment
that brings clarity or consolation
(Do YOU ever go back to check for a follow-up comment?)
In this case, someone had posted a Madeleine L'Engle poem 
which couldn't have been more reassuring.
Sometimes it IS good to go back!

A totally unrelated photo....I'm trying to locate my autumn decorations and so far, this is all I've found.
 "I, who live by words, am wordless when
I try my words in prayer. All language turns
To silence. Prayer will take my words and then
Reveal their emptiness. The stilled voice learns
To hold its peace, to listen with the heart
To silence that is joy, is adoration.
The self is shattered, all words torn apart
In this strange patterned time of contemplation
That, in time, breaks time, breaks words, breaks me,
And then, in silence, leaves me healed and mended.
I leave, returned to language, for I see
Through words, even when all words are ended."
(Madeleine L'Engle)

6 comments:

  1. Oh that is good! I think many of us find ourselves overwhelmed by all the need we see. How can we even begin to express it with words?

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in a devotional recently that all we have to say when we can't think of what to or how to pray, is Jesus' name. He knows all that is in our hearts.

    What a lovely poem, thanks for sharing it here.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am saving this, so good. I have read a lot of L'Engle and never seen this. It is soooo good. Thanks for putting it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me want to read (and re-read) a few of her books.....

      Delete
  4. Our hearts often need a language that speaks as no other ~ the poetry, prose or perspectives of others is so often a balm, water on dry ground. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! "Like apples of gold in settings of silver, so is a word skillfully spoken." (Proverbs 25:11, NET Bible).

      Delete

Writing a Song a Week #3

Writing a Song a Week #3
♪ I wait for the Lord; my soul waits and in his word I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning ♪ (Psalm 130:5-6)